MARS HILL, N.C. – The Converse College (3-2) tennis team took to the road and handed Mars Hill (6-1) its first loss of the season on Thursday afternoon at the Hart Tennis Complex. After dropping all three matches in the doubles portion, the Valkyries battled back in singles competition, taking four flights to earn the hard-fought win. Snighda Musugunthan defeated Julianne Launay (7-5, 3-6, 10-8) in the No. 3 singles spot to capture the match for the Purple and Gold.
Converse 4, Mars Hill 3
1. Steffi Kong (CONV) def. Evan Lake (MHU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Sophia Pelaez (MHU) def. Taylor Parrott (CONV) 6-2, 6-3
3. Snighda Musugunthan (CONV) def. Julianne Launay (MHU) 7-5, 3-6, 10-8
4. Maria Belen Vendrell (CONV) def. Victoria Franklin (MHU) 6-0, 6-1
5. Pauline Hagen (CONV) def. Haley Steinkamp (MHU) 3-6, 6-1, 10-6
6. Kat Horner (MHU) def. Martha Quattlebaum (CONV) 7-6, 4-6, 10-5
3. Victoria Franklin/Kat Horner (MHU) def. Martha Quattlebaum/Snighda Musugunthan (CONV) 6-1
This wraps up the fall portion of the Valkyries' schedule as they will return to action on February 5, 2019, facing Benedict at the Converse Tennis Complex.