SPARTANBURG, S.C. - The Converse Tennis team battled tough against Conference Carolinas power Erskine on Thursday afternoon falling 8-1. Converse picked up their first point against Erskine in program history.
FINAL | Converse 1, Erskine 8
LOCATION | Spartanburg, S.C. (Converse Tennis Courts)
RECORDS | Converse 6-15 (2-8), 10-7 (7-3)
INSIDE THE RESULTS
Steffi Kong picked up the lone point for the Valkyries in a tough three-set match at No. 1 singles. Kong cruised to an early set advantage with a 6-0 win before dropping the second set 6-2. The freshman battled back to take the match 10-4 in the tiebreaker.
Steffi Kong improves to 7-11 this season. Her seven wins at No. 1 singles ties her for the most wins at No. 1 in program history with former player Tina Rohner, who had seven wins in 2004.
1. Steffi Kong (CONVERSE) def. Bennett 6-0, 2-6, 10-4
2. Berghaus (EC) def. Alex Schlesener 6-2, 6-3
3. Berkey (EC) def. Kaitlin Knight 6-3, 6-3
4. Loudermilk (EC) def. Taylor Parrott 6-3, 6-4
5. Weaver (EC) def. Morgan Trask 6-1, 6-1
6. Smith (EC) def. Abby Roth 6-2, 6-2
Converse travels to Pfeiffer for the final regular season match on Friday, April 14. The Valkyries can clinch a berth in the Conference Carolinas Tennis Championships with a win against the Falcons.