FRANKLIN SPRINGS, Ga. – The Converse (5-2, 1-2 CC) basketball team dropped its Conference Carolinas road opener versus Emmanuel (6-2, 2-0 CC) on Tuesday evening inside Williamson Arena by the final of 72-50.
Score: Emmanuel 72, Converse 50
Records: Emmanuel (6-2), Converse (5-2)
Location: Williamson Arena
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Dominique Hill (Elgin, S.C.) led the Valkyries with nine points, including a 7-of-8 performance from the charity stripe.
- Freshman guard Priscilla Delaney (Charleston, S.C.) scored a career-high seven points off the bench for the Purple and Gold.
- Tee Ballard (Lancaster, S.C.) pulled down a team-high eight boards to go along with five points, one assist, and one steal.
- Converse outrebounded the Lions by a total of 47-43, while holding Emmanuel to 36.5% (27-74) from the floor.
- The Valkyries took 30 trips to the free throw line, knocking down 20 for 67%.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Converse started the game strong, racing out to a 5-0 lead following a jumper from Abigail Lewis (Savannah, Ga.) and free throws from Jordan Brooks (San Angelo, Texas) and Hill.
However, a layup by Lochlain Corliss with 2:28 remaining on the first quarter clock gave EC its first lead at 8-7. That margin reached 16-10 as the Lions finished the first with a 16-5 run.
That advantage continued to grow in the second when Emmanuel's Brooke Whitaker knocked down a three pointer, stretching the lead to double-digits (22-12) almost halfway through the period.
A jumper from Ashley Sides (Gaffney, S.C.) followed by a driving layup by Ballard cut the deficit to 24-18, but the Golden Lions used a 10-4 run to end the first half, taking a 34-22 lead into the intermission.
The third session belonged to the home team as Emmanuel busted out of the gates with a crucial 16-3 run to balloon its lead, doubling up the Valkyries, 50-25 with 4:48 left on the clock. The Lions rode the momentum into the fourth quarter, leading 57-36.
From that point it was all academic as both teams traded baskets the rest of the way, allowing Emmanuel to come away with the 22-point win.
After Converse jumped out 5-0 early in the first quarter, Emmanuel used a 22-7 run over the next 12 minutes of game action to collect a double-digit lead, which the Valkyries could not overcome.
The Valkyries will be back in action on Saturday, December 8, traveling to Gaffney, S.C. to face Limestone College. Converse will look to avenge a 91-66 loss to the Saints just nine days ago. Tip-off for that contest is scheduled for 2 p.m. inside the Timken Center.